Thursday, August 09, 2012

Booking Through Thursday (4)

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Deb at btt2. Every Thursday, a book-related question is posted and fellow bloggers answer them.


Name a book you love in a genre you don't normally care for. What made you decide to read it? Did it make you want to try more in that genre?

I don't usually go for contemporary romance, or even a ton of purely contemporary novels. (I'm a sci-fi/fantasy girl.) But a few books I actually liked very much were:

  1. The Duff by Kody Keplinger: It was very honest and didn't gloss over the negative side in life. And it's very unlikely to see an author just present sex as a topic without making it sound all flowery and pretty. Which are possibly among the worst adjectives I've used, ever.
  2. A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger: Okay, I kind of started loving Kody Keplinger's writing after The Duff, and this is another honest story told from a teenager's point of view that may as well be real.
  3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: Did I mention how much I love this book? Only a few hundred times, I suppose. Throughout the story, I thought of Hazel as ticking time bombs and waited for her cancer to come back, and for some miracle to bring her back to Augustus' side. Highlight to see spoiler Little did I know that it was in fact not Hazel in danger, but Augustus who had his foot on a grave. It was a bit lyrical how the tables turned so quickly, showing that it was not Hazel's star that needed to be "healthier, but instead Augustus'. *Sniffle*
  4. The Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter: I have a thing for honest soul-food. The Snowball Effect is not as well known as the books I've listed above, but it's hard to put into words how this book felt. I had a more difficult time than usual getting through this one because Lainey, the protagonist, had to go through so much conflict and pain and she was just so sad. Which is not like those cute, bubbly contemporary romances out there.
Unfortunately, no, those books didn't make me read more of contemporary romances. I liked those books listed above because they were real and broke your heart, not because it was happy and cute. But nevertheless, I still do come across bubbly and cute contemporary romances that I end up liking but wouldn't give a five-star to.


What genre do you avoid reading and why?

I try not to read too many books with religion as its topic at heart; I don't know why, but I personally get slightly freaked out at the thought of a deity, even though I'm religious myself. Weird, I know. Other than that, there's romances. I really don't like it when a character goes all "boo hoo, I don't know if I should choose between him, him, or the ten other suitors I have" (did I just say suitors?) and not just do something a lot quicker and straightforward. Besides, nearly all my favourite books have these epic battle scenes or whatnot in them.
Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.