Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (4)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. So you pretty much do the week's topic of the top ten _______ and link back.

Well, this week the topic is Top Ten Posts that Gives You the Best Glimpse into Me. For once, I've actually bothered to check the topic before writing and posting a TTT. Unfortunately, I've been blogging for only approximately one and a half months, so there's nothing I could really put up . . . So instead, to make up for not being able to do the above topic, I'll post the . . .

Top Ten Things You should Know about Me and How it Relates to Reading or Something Book-Related

(Title's a bit long, but nevermind . . .) So here's the top ten things that molded me into the kind of reader I am today. Ugh, that sounded a bit cheesy, but whatever.

01. I'm a child prodigy.
Keyword: child. So right now, I'm quite an average teenager, destroying my parents' dreams of having a Nobel Prize winner in the future. And as a child prodigy, that made me quite prideful, never a very attractive trait. With that pride, I picked up a copy of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, thinking that, of course, I could read it. Needless, to say, I was quite disturbed by it, but at the same time it sparked my interest in slightly strange books.

02. I'm from Asia.
So I immigrated from Asia as a child, and in order to honour my heritage, my mother enrolled me in some extracurricular classes to learn Mandarin. I will not claim to have a great time doing that, but I did learn to communicate in Mandarin, and can read in Mandarin if needed.

03. I love sappy but practical stories.
I wouldn't cry if I watched Titanic or The Notebook, but I start sobbing whenever I read Ilsa J. Bick's Ashes or John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Truly, I don't get it when people fall hopelessly in love for no apparent reason. They have to have gone through something in order for me to really want to be them. Occasionally, I think it's kind of cute if they don't really have a reason, but it makes no sense at all to me.

04. Grace = least athletic person on earth.
Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but I spend time reading on my bed than jogging.

05. My attention span sucks. At times.
I'm fine with reading non-fiction in my spare time, but I usually take a long time to finish, unless it's one of those books with a ton of miscellaneous trivia inside. So I might sprout something weird out of my mouth from time to time.

06. I'm an aspiring writer.
Alright, there's a ton of readers out there who wants to write, too, so I don't think I have much of a chance, but that makes me read author bios and the such just so I can see what driven them to begin their career. And which makes me quite obsessed with the works of Gordon Korman; I mean, he published his first book in seventh grade, and is now father to X number of books.

07. I don't have an allowance.
So therefore, I must borrow my books from the library and scrape up money once in a while to buy books. And that makes me quite familiar with the local librarians.

08. My guilty pleasure is paranormal/supernatural stories.
I try telling myself "It's unrealistic!" but that never works. If you look at number 3, you'll see that I try to be practical as much as possible. I actually managed to fool myself into thinking that I'm reading it only to pick apart the scientific mistakes and think up a solution, but I think I have to own up now. How cool is it to have some random power like making a fireball with only a few whispered words?

09. And . . . the Late Night Reader Award goes to Grace Lo!
Unfortunately for me, I'm obsessive with reading, so I end up staying up to the wee hours of the morn reading just so I won't stay up tossing and turning over the book's outcome. So it's like the lesser of two evils to me. It still doesn't work, especially if it's in a series. I'd stay up for who knows how long waiting for the next book to be released or at least available at the local library. I'm quite surprised I don't fall asleep in class more often.

10. I read quite fast.
I remember as a child I'd look at my sister reading and be like "I will read that fast one day." And I did. And surpassed it. I probably should add in something along the lines of "So children, reach for your goals, for you shall achieve it." But I won't. Because that's not Grace-ish. And quite frankly, it puts a strain on my shoulders whenever I go for a library book haul, which is possibly the only physical exercise I go through.
Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.