Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (5)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. So you pretty much do the week's topic of the top ten _______ and link back.

This week the topic is . . .

Top Ten Romances You Think Should Last Outside the Book

So, uhh, yeah. Here's a list of romances that I think should be not only in books, but also in the real world that all of us would face the moment we tear our eyes from the pages of books. Of course, there's a million that I'd love to see, but these are the ones I can pick up off the top of my head.

Note: some spoilers ahead. Major spoilers are high-lighted.



01. Abel and Anna from The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis
And I haven't finished it yet. Which shows exactly how good the book is. Anna, who finally reaches outside her protective soap bubble, I think couldn't help but pretty much trip over her feet for Abel, the school dealer but a phenomenal brother to Micha after-hours. It's like the typical good girl and the bad boy, but I have a feeling that they're not going to end up well. It's like a hovering storm cloud in the distance.

02. Augustus and Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Did I mention how obsessed I am with this book? Hazel and Augustus are pretty much meant to be, from what they both endured, to their slightly odd way of just knowing each other. The quote below from their first meeting reveals all.

“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice.



I smiled. "Sure."



"Tomorrow?" he asked.

"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager. 

"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said. 

"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"

"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.

"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book." 

He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other.”


I'd cry but that's not what I do. Honestly I really don't like sappy things. But all the sappiness between them has a fantastic touch of wit that shows exactly how teenagers should act, but makes the two of them seem wise beyond their years.


03. Katsa and Po from Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I'm jealous of the two of them. They can fight with badass-ery. Which is not a real word. Nor is it on-topic. But hey, they're great together, although I must say that most of the credit goes to Po for how far they both grew in their relationship. Po pushes Katsa to be a better person - which sounds really cheesy - and wholeheartedly accepts who she was when she was with Randa. Whenever she started picking apart everything that she's not great at, he always somehow digs up something to compliment her with. Much later in the book do we see Katsa help with Po's personal battle with losing his sight.

04. Zachary and Aura from Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready
Another one of my book obsessions. I'm a major fangirl of Jeri's books. Zach and Aura, they are literally soul-mates, or at least as close as you'd get. With their complimenting ghost-related powers, and Zach just being an absolute gentleman, I'd love it if I could drive to Baltimore and see them around town, or fly to Scotland to do the same. Which sounds very, very stalker-y. But to me, the two of them are celebrities.

05. Driggs and Alex from Croak by Gina Damico
Do you feel how angsty they get with each other? They fight like a married couple already. Needs no further explanation.

06. Frank and Glory from Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony
Those two don't even need words to describe how much they belong to each other.


07. Tom and Alex from Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick
The two of them are mere humans fighting for survival in a world gone so wrong. And lucky for Alex, Tom's nearly perfect. Unfortunately, what becomes of him remains a mystery.. After he gets sick, I think I started crying big-time.

08. Oliver and Hadley from The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
They are adorable together. And, yes, it's a little weird of me to like stuff with 'love at first sight' in the title but it works for these two. They kind of remind me of Augustus and Hazel. A bit.

09. Jack and Saba from Blood Red Road by Moira Young
Saba, excuse my language, is a bit of a b**** at the beginning of the book. The only person she truly cares about is her twin, Lugh. She probably would hire a parade if her little sister Emmi got run over by a horse. And in comes Jack, who pretty much tells her, "Hey, give the kid a break. And quit being so mean. And rude. And blowing people off." And there's the spark.

10. Marco and Celia from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
They're two children raised from a young age to do one thing: perform against another extraordinary magician and win. Spending their childhood years practicing and doing little else would not do much for their social lives, so when they meet each other I think it's little wonder that they would fall - and fall far. In the synopsis, it clearly states "only one can be left standing," which is just plain tragic. The starcrossed pair deserves some peace.
Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.