Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Haunted Week 2012: Written in the Tombstone

{This Girl Reads}

Haunted Week 2012 is an event hosted by Cheyenne at This Girl Reads spanning the week of Halloween with daily punny posts from yours truly, moi. Links to all of my posts can be found on this post: Introduction: Haunted Week 2012.

{This Girl Reads}

Epitaph: inscription on one's tombstone, or one's last words. Today I shall quote you the last unspoilery line of five books. Most of them has a tie-in to death, always a theme in Halloween festivities, or at least have something paranormal-ish to it.

* = Books categorized as Adult

1) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
But between now and then, there was Life; and Bod walked into it with his eyes and his heart wide open.
I love this line. It has an open end to leave to the reader's imagination. We have no idea who Bod will become, and shows how much he has progressed through the story.



2) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern *
"The circus arrives without warning."
I am a sucker for The Night Circus, but this is possibly among my favourite ways to see a book end. If you read the synopsis on Goodreads, you'll see that this is actually the opening line, and to close off with it is just so perfect!

3) Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong *
I wouldn't want it any other way.
Another open-ended closing to a story. I love the closing lines that leave you with the five W questions. Who? What? When? Where? Why? (And the anomaly, How?) It's up to my brain to cook up whatever that particular "I" is looking forwards to.

4) The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold *
I wish you all a long and happy life.
Go to the synopsis and you'll find that the protagonist of the story spends most of her time in the book as a member of the dead. Because she got killed. This epitaph ties the story to a very tidy closing that I can't help but feel ever so slightly touched by.

5) Cinder by Marissa Meyer
But they would be looking for a ghost.
Like I mentioned previously, I love open-ended endings. This one, is a heck of a cliffhanger, and asks all five of the W questions, on top of being part of just a pure awesome book.

Are there any last lines that you particularly love? Leave your answer in the comments section! (Please, no spoilers!)




Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.