Friday, March 01, 2013

Review: Frost Fire by Olivia Rivers

Title: Frost Fire
Author: Olivia Rivers
Series: Tortured Elements #1
Release Date: November 20, 2012
Publisher: Red Sparrow Press
ISBN13: 9780615738369
Format: eBook, 213 pages
Genre: YA, paranormal, fantasy
Source: blog tour
“Magic is just like love, Allai. It won’t wait for permission before it destroys you.”



Like sand in an hourglass, Allai’s future is dwindling away. She’s spent her entire life fighting the Mages who threaten humanity, and dreams of someday eradicating magic. But all it takes is an anonymous phone call for the truth to spill out: Allai is the one thing she despises most. 



She’s a Mage. 



Though ancient law mandates Allai’s death, she still has one last chance of survival. His name is Drake Rhaize, and he swears he can lead Allai to a sanctuary for Mages. Allai hasn’t seen Drake in years, but she remembers him as the Demon boy who used to hold her close and softly whisper that he’d keep her safe. But Drake has changed since then: He’s now suspected of murder, and has been out-casted for betraying his own kind. 



While Allai doesn’t trust Drake, she has no choice but to put her life in his hands and hope he can get her to safety. Because Allai’s father has hired a pack of Demons to bring her back to him, dead or alive–and Demons never stop the hunt.
Frost Fire, for me, was a fairly quick read, but packed with emotion and action. Since I value originality, I really liked the new concept Olivia Rivers made up.

The plot had a bunch of ups and downs for me. At times, Rivers really does know how to place her characters and plot points to make the jump up at whatever happens in the story, but there are downsides as well. I felt as if the beginning, while it was a wonderful introduction into Allai's world, it felt a bit . . . jagged. Like it needed to be sanded down or something. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the storyline.

Rivers created a story in third-person POV surrounding Allai and Drake, the protagonists. Personally, I like the little bit of contrast between their characters, both of them with this dark overhanging cloud they carry with them, though Allai's considerably smaller. However, while I could see the chemistry between the two characters, they didn't spark a fire in my heart. I personally didn't feel any more inclined to cheer the two on than a regular couple in YA lit.

Honestly, Rivers is a fantastic new talent that I think everyone should watch for. She's young, and she managed to write this wonderful book - not without flaws, but doesn't every book have flaws themselves? - that lacked just a bit of an extra push to get a five-star review. With a wonderful plot and cast of characters, I can't wait to pick up the next in the series!
Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.